Launching a gift basket business is not as hard as it sounds. It takes work and dedication, but with the right resources and knowledge it is very achievable. Better still, a gift basket business can be a very lucrative venture if done right.
If you are unsure on how to proceed, here are six steps to launching your own gift basket business:
- Create Your Own Gift Baskets
The first thing that you need to do is create your own line of gift baskets. You have two options here:
- You can design your own gift baskets or;
- You can buy a pre-made set of gift baskets from a wholesaler.
If you are very creative and have some time on your hands, then the first option would be ideal. But buying your gift baskets pre-made also has its advantages.
You’ll want to create around 10-15 different styles of gift basket; these styles can range from Christmas Hamper gift baskets to Health Food gift baskets. Just make sure that you have enough variety to keep customers interested
- Photograph Your Gift Baskets
These are the images that people will be seeing online, so make sure they are high-quality images. Use a neutral, non-reflective background with your images.
- Set a Price
Now that you have your photos taken care of, it’s time to set a price for your gift baskets. Compare prices online and take into account the cost of production on your part. Don’t be afraid of setting the price of some gift baskets higher than others, buyers won’t be discouraged if there is a slight price difference between your products.
- Shipping Methods
For local customers you can offer them free shipping or pickup, but with customers that are out of state you will have to arrange a courier service. Just make sure that your gift baskets are very sturdy – you don’t want your customers to receive a broken basket.
For international customers, you are going to have to take even more care with your gift baskets. You cannot include any perishables, like fruit, when you ship overseas.
- Create Your Own Website
The next step is to create your own website. If you are savvy with programing then you can do this yourself. If you have no experience in making websites, try to make a WordPress blog or hire a web developer to make the site for you.
- Advertise Online
The final step to launching your own gift basket business is to advertise online. There are several different ways you can do this:
- Google AdWords – Google will display your AdWords ad on the side of anyone’s search engine when they search certain keywords. Every time someone clicks on your ad, you will pay Google a small amount of money. It’s called pay-per-click advertising.
- Hire an Expert – There are hundreds of online marketing companies that can promote your business for you.
- Self-promotion – If you have the time and necessary expertise, you can self-promote.
Follow these six simple steps and your gift basket business will be up and running in no time! Good luck!